Monday, August 27, 2007

Late Summer Special - Curves

Just in time for the end of summer (Chicago's summer is soo short), here's a pattern that I've been working on. It's already written up and will be available is now available over at the fantastic Swanky Knits! Trying to decide what to do with the neckline nearly drove me insane. I knew I didn't want it to be plain. I pretty much stumbled onto this shape and liked it, so I kept it. The sections of ribbing follow your curves, hence the name. I chose SWTC bamboo and it is a pleasure to knit with and wear. You must knit it tighter than the ball band or you're going to get lace, but a little goes a long way. This took less than 2 full balls for the 32" bust size. The largest sizes will not take more than 4. And the finished fabric is so slinky and feels so good against the skin.



Sexy! Ribbing lines start with a little fullness at the hips, decreases for the waist, and increase to maximum fullness for the bust. In fact this shaping simply follows the actual decreases and increases of the top, with a bit extra for more visual effect.



So I'm happy to have this off the needles and I've already worn it twice. The folks at work really like it. :-) So do I.

In other news I'm proud to report that I have been slowing down on the yarn buying. I'm not sure how much of this is due to simply being incredibly poor and how much has to do with having another burgeoning interest (the natural hair thing). I think the poverty has kept me from buying but the hair thing has kept me from being too upset about it.

However, I did get a gift certificate for Jimmy Beans Wool. I worked their booth at Stitches Midwest for a few hours. This Stitches was so different from my first. I had the last shift, so I got there 2 hours before the whole thing was over and helped them pack up. I didn't go around the market at all. I planned to at least look around, but in true Chicago fashion, the el had problems / was under construction, etc. (how many times did I take the subway in Seoul? Tons. How many times did it have problems? None.) so I was 5 minutes late instead of 30 minutes early and didn't have time to do anything but work. And I was starved, too, and was working off a couple handfuls of cashews and the lemon bars someone's mother brought for us. But still, Stitches was a good thing. My LYS, Loopy Yarns, had a party the Friday before and I met folk from out of town and there was cheese and wine, and y'all know how I love free alcohol. Don't they all look so happy?



And for my work at JBW's booth, with the gift certificate they gave me, I got these goodies. Like I said, I've cut back on yarn, so all I got yarn-wise was a couple balls of sock yarn from the new Kaffe Fasset Line, the Landscape line in Fog. Doesn't the yarn look absolutely nothing like the pic in the link above? I'm really hoping it magically turns into the pic.



I also got a French Girl Margaux, a pattern for a cape. We'll see if I can knit this for Halloween.

But coolest of all is this bag from Lantern Moon. I love their baskets and bags, and this is pretty cute in person, too.



I'm off to California tomorrow to visit the family and I'll take along my Split Neckline tee from Fitted Knits and a sock project. I'll bring the socks and a book in this bag.



Til later, Folks!

17 comments:

MelissaKnits said...

That is so pretty.
And I love that Lantern Moon fabric. I just love Lantern Moon, really.

Catherine said...

That bag is adorable, your Curves top is too cute and your hair looks awesome! Happy travels!

Adrienne said...

Your top is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

Great top!

I like the Lantern Moon bag too, very cute, in person or not.

http://languidly.com/

Kris said...

I Love Curves!! and oh boy, I've got some bamboo in my stash too!

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Curves is great! That's one pattern I would make over Coachella. Love the bag too. And keep up the partying!!
=:8

Larjmarj said...

The bag is really chic!
Nice work on the top and you look great in it!

Lien said...

That is gorgeous. The ribbing at the sides is genius. Don't you love that bamboo yarn?

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and your comment about Baby Dove.

Your red sweater is very beautiful, and the fit is fantastic! I love your Lantern Moon knitting bag, too. Beautiful, and just the right length for those long sweater needles. Hope you are having a great time on vacation. :o) Natural hair is as in Curly Girl? I'm a curly girl devotee.

Unknown said...

Curves is beautiful, Nikki! Just as almost everything else you design and knit. And crochet.

Hope you get a lot of wear out of it!

Deborah said...

that tank is beautiful. When I find my waist again, I'll be sure to find your pattern!

WandaWoman said...

Beautiful top. Just gorgeous.

dickie said...

Congratulations on the pattern! =)
The bag is cool too, I like how the flowers look so 3-dimensional because of the variegated colors.

Silvia said...

Nikki, thank you for visiting my blog.
Your new top is very nice and the fit is just great. Bookmarked it for my daughter.
I wish I would (still) have the body for it myself :).
best wishes,
Silvia

KellyK said...

NIKKI!

I dont know how I didnt know about your blog before... I finally saw your pattern up at Swanky and made it over here.

Curves is GAWGEOUS, and you are SEXXXAAAAYYYY!!!!

I have been ROLLIN' laughing at your letters to your body parts. I hope they get the message. ;)

I also spent the last half-hour TRANSFIXED at Miss Jessie's website. :blushes: I LOVE your new hair!

Why havent I seen you since that one time at Chix??

Hugz...

-KellyK

NatRed2 said...

Nikki-Your Curves top is too flippin' cute!!!! When I stop being a fatty, I am making one for myself!

Unknown said...

That red number is awesome!! Got to find that pattern.