Saturday, July 05, 2008

More Fitted (or not) Knits

Well, I've had my first real knitting disappointment. Perhaps you remember the split neckline tee that I also did from the Fitted Knits book in that lovely Cotton Frappe. There was the peek-a-boo bra problem, but I knew that was a necessary part of the design. I still really liked it and thought I'd do another from the book, the Textured Tunic with side buttons. This was the cover design.

Now there was a lot of talk on how this design was not really fitted. That's very true. The body is just a rectangle. There was also a lot of talk on Ravelry on how the sleeves were separated from the body too early in this top-down raglan design. So I figured I could still make it and fix those things. I had bought this wonderful yarn on sale from Webs, RYC Soft Tweed in gray. Well, long story short, I tried and failed. I thought I would increase more slowly so that the diagonal measurement for the sleeve was longer than what was speciified in the pattern. It still ended up a bit too short, especially compared to the body, which I did add some shaping too but which still ended up too baggy. I hate this sweater, which is a shame because the yarn is really really nice. I think it's been discontinued but if you see some around I'd advise getting it. In my opinion it's nicer against the skin than Malabrigo. I think because it's already kinda felted sorta that any little hair that would have caused irritation have been smoothed down into the yarn. It's a totally smooth wool to wear against the skin. Wasted!

Now you might not think it's so bad from this angle:



And you might think "cute button". I had a great time choosing these buttons on a trip to San Francisco at a button store called Britex. They were not that cheap. Wasted!



But when you see it from this angle, you know exactly what I'm talking about:




As you see, this is the most ill-fitting garment I have made. Well, I guess everything can't be perfect.

Despite this disaster, I made yet another item from the book afterwards, the Two Tone Shrug. This time I used Classic Elite Four Seasons, a 70% cotton 30% wool blend that I also got on sale from Webs (screams "I love you, Webs!", *throws panties onto stage*). Despite the fact that I misjudged the color of the spotted yarn, thinking it the spots were black from the picture on my monitor as opposed to navy blue as I discovered once they were delivered, I love this knit. It's a tiny bit too big because it's based on the measurement across the back and I didn't know that and couldn't measure it myself so I did the second smallest size. I think the smallest would have been fine. Still, it fits well and is very functional. And the increases for the ribbing are really well-designed.




You can see from the back that it's a little too big.



I like this yarn, too, and may knit with it again some day.

Oh, one more thing. Since my last post, my birthday passed. I am now officially in the 30's club. I put on my Anthropologie dress,



and my necklace and earrings I got in South Africa



and made my 30th birthday the day of the most compliments and flirtation in my life. But due to my terrible social skills, I still find myself 30 and alone. Which is incredibly sad and disheartening. At this point I feel like to be alone is just a basic part of my life, of what it is to be me. So please forgive me if, these days, I am not as chipper in my posts as I managed to be before. It's getting a little harder.

'til next time, y'all.

17 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

Tell me about your terrible social skills. Maybe we have something in common.

Virtuous said...

Gurl it is so good to hear from you!!

Happy Belated Birthday! You look FABULOUS!!!!

And gurl Fitted Knits is a constandt frustration to me! You should have to tweak that book/patterns that much to get what it claims to be "fitted" when it is not!! Ugh!

Angelika said...

I don't understand how men don't swarm you. You have a great sense of humor and I love reading your blog. Happy belated and welcome in the 30's club.

Nik said...

Happy Birthday hon!

You look beautiful in that dress. I'm in love with that necklace. You deserved those complements.

Daniela said...

Great to hear from you again, and Happy belated Birthday! You are so pretty and -judging from your writing on this blog - have a great personality. Mr Right will come along, just you wait.Take care
Daniela

WandaWoman said...

That's really too bad that the top isn't as fitted as one would assume from the title At least you can reclaim the yarn for something better suited.

Cyn said...

That freaking Textured Tunic. I'm still ranty about that pattern and I didn't even end up making it. What kind of clothespin-and-photoshop madness did they pull with that pic in the book, making people think the pattern will actually come out looking like that? I wonder if that pattern got b0rked in editing, because I keep hearing such good things about Stefanie Japel's patterns in general.

That dress is gorgeous and so are you!

jordynn said...

The shrug looks great!

I hear you on the 30 and alone business... but it's better than being with someone who isn't worthy of you!

Laikabear said...

Welcome to the 30s club! I've already been a member for a whole year.

I really like reading your blog, you crack me up. I have had kind of a lonely year too, but don't give up! With your awesome hair and awesome wardrobe and sense of humor you're bound to finally reel in someone great. Here's hoping you don't catch an old boot or a tin can in the meantime. :)

Chra said...

Hey I made the textured tunic too and the body is not a rectangle. As I can see from your pictures you didn't follow the pattern in the seed st part. Normally there is a big seed st 'cloth' which goes around the body at the wider part of the hips. You can see a picture of this in my ravelry project here http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Chra/textured-tunic-with-side-buttons

Happy birthday =)
Christina

Larjmarj said...

That's a bummer about the not so fitted knit. I guess that's why I have such a fear of garments.

You look gorgeous in your dress and the jewelry is stunning.

Karine said...

Happy 30th whenever it was. Yeah I get you on the terrible social skills, I have the same issue. Am now realizing that I can't pick up men if I don't talk to them...

About the sweater, yeah that sucks.

Loved the dress.

Nikki said...

Christina, you are right, I didn't follow the seed stitch part in the *bottom* of the sweater. The sweater is not originally a rectangle, but the main torso is as it has no waist shaping. So if you choose the size for your bust you get several inches of positive ease in the underbust and waist area. This is a very common complaint across Ravelry. The flared seed stitch portion at the bottom, though, would have helped with the overall shape, though, I do agree.

BrownBerry said...

Thirty, flirty and looking GREAT!
I suspect it's only a matter of time...

Thanks for the details on the FK projects - I still thumb through there and create fantasy sweaters in my mind.

Ivy said...

I've been reading your blog for a few months...you inspire me to knit fearlessly...happy belated birthday...don't blame yourself/social skills for not yet meeting the right Guy, when he appears he'll appreciate you/your skills, so don't alter, or feel bad about anything/just keep enjoying every blessed day you have.

Complicated Melody said...

You're a great knitter. I hope to have skills like you one day. Your hair is also beautiful.

nordwolke said...

The textured tunic was one sweater of fitted knits I had cast an eye on! However, I had read about fitting problems on a couple of designs in that book. I had not thought that this one would be such a trouble. It looks so fitted! ;) I don't think that I will be corageous enough to knit one of those designs in the near future.
Last year, I peeked a lot at your blog and sometimes commented. Back then, I was not really able to knit. But your wonderful sweaters made me wanting trying it again. And now, about 10 months after I started knitting, I have already made one sweater, I am just knitting my second and I have knitted some smaller stuff. Knitting has become a passion. Thank you and your blog which contributed to awake this sleeping passion ...